What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas. When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.
Remember the six main symtoms to look out for:
We recommend Honeywell SF450EN
SF450EN - Portable Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector
World’s first domestic Carbon Monoxide Alarm to be officially approved to the European Standard EN50291:2001.
The unit provides a guaranteed 6 years of operation without any need for replacement parts. It incorporates the latest electro-chemical sensing technology and offers a number of unique, market leading features and benefits including an ultra compact and aesthetic design, automatic sensor adjustment function and a continuous self test function to ensure complete accuracy and reliability.
No parts, sensors or batteries to replace.